Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lemon Poppy seed Crepes with Ricotta, Basil and Asparagus

IMG_4874IMG_4884IMG_4879

The pictures speak for themselves.

crepes:

1 cup flour
2 eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons / ¼ cup butter (melted)
¼ cup Poppy seeds

1. Mix flour, eggs, water and milk in a blender until smooth. Making sure to use a fork to scrape the flour off the sides (but stop the blender first of course! hahaha)
2. Add melted butter and salt, mix in blender.
3. Chill for ½hr / overnight (in blender) This helps get rid of the bubbles and make it nice and smooth. I found it also makes it so much easier to swirl them)
4. Heat a lightly oiled (& I do mean super lightly) griddle (or really any flat pan will do) over just more then medium heat (like a 6/10).
Pour the batter onto the pan, & “tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly”
5. Sprinkle poppy seeds on top to your liking
6. When the edges start to get a little golden & crispy (usually 2 min.) see if you can stick your spatula underneath all the way through to test if they are ready to flip. I flip my sliding them off my pan onto the lid and then flipping the lid really fast. Some people can do it with a spatula – but it’s much harder for larger crepes. Do what you do.
7. After another 2 min, check to see if they are finished. Place on a plate lined with paper towel. (to absorb the extra oil)

Tips
*For my perfect sized crepe – I usually pour until I see batter in a circle about the circumference of a larger mug.
*I sometimes line in-between each crepe so they don’t get to spongy and oily. Especially if I’m making a big batch to fill later.

I used a recipe that was given to me for this dish, but I really regretted it. It added sugar you didn’t need, and was too thick for me. So this is my tried & true crepe recipe, with poppy seeds added. (: I made these for a wedding shower – and they went like hot cakes (pun intended).

Filling:

Ricotta Filling:

1 standard bag of ricotta
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
sea salt & black pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon each)

1. Take the ricotta out of the bag & add the olive oil and mix together with a large fork
2. Add fresh lemon zest on top (in hindsight I would have added a pinch of lemon juice too, but I had just saved the peel) salt & pepper – mix.

Asparagus:

1. Blanche the asparagus (but keep it whole –  if you need to – halve the stocks)

Basil:

1. Pick out of your garden. (this recipe called for arugula as an optional switch – which I think would have made the dish a 100x better – so if you want – sub out basil for arugula and blanche it when you are doing the asparagus)

 

Here’s how to fold your crepe …

crepeassembly_final

 

Excuse my rudimentary drawing skills :P You could always just place them all on top and devour. Or not do the bottom fold and just roll.
But if you do then you can grab it & go – and it’s delicious. + when you put the leftovers in the fridge they can also just be picked up and snacked on.
They happen to be excellent cold. ♥ They’d also be a good thing to bring to a party – because you can make them small and they are good in the fridge for 2 days. Or a make ahead meal for a busy night. If you have those.

signature

p.s.  OMG! This post was done over a week ago & I thought I had put it up. Like … 2+ weeks ago. Eeek! Expect a bunch of posts all in a row now :( wooosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment